One of the great injustices of our nation’s labor laws is that they stop short of protecting the workers who are closest to us – domestic workers who care for our homes, children, and other family members – workers who are often referred to as a “member of the family.”
Bend the Arc is part of a broad coalition of people and organizations working to correct the longstanding exclusion of domestic workers from basic labor protections that most American workers take for granted. This exclusion, which was codified into federal law in the 1930s, is rooted in discrimination against women and people of color. It’s time to end the decades of injustice toward nannies, caregivers, and housecleaners who work in homes across California. It’s time to bring them into the fold and change the culture of domestic employment.
Watch this video to learn more about our campaign:
What is the Domestic Workers Bill of Rights?
The Domestic Workers Bill of Rights will provide much needed protections for this highly vulnerable workforce. It will mandate equal overtime pay for all domestic workers.
Our Goal is to Transform the Domestic Work Industry by:
- Passing the California Domestic Workers Bill of Rights in partnership with workers and allies in the California Domestic Workers Coalition.
- Persuading employers of nannies, housecleaners and caregivers to adopt ethical employment practices.
How Can You Help?
1. Sign our letter to Governor Brown:
- Stand with more than 200,000 caregivers, nannies and housekeepers in California who are seeking fair labor protections.
2. Download Our Magnet:
- Employers of domestic workers can take one step forward following these simple guidelines.